Wednesday, 23 March 2016
DFM stands for Design for Manufacturing. The good Design practice is not only focusing on the Product design alone, but also its producibility or manufacturability. It is most important to detect and eliminate mistakes before the product or part goes to manufacturing.
SOLIDWORKS has an inbuilt DFM tool called DFMXpress that helps in implementing common manufacturability checks related to machining and sheet metal fabrication. It helps to avoid downstream problems early in the design stage, thereby reduces cost and minimizes time to market.
DFMXpress reduces engineering changes (ECNs & ECOs) by predicting manufacturing problems early in the upstream design stage. It ensures that the design is compatible with available or desired manufacturing process and can be manufactured economically. This allows potential problem to be fixed in the design stage which is the least expensive place to address them. The design of the component can have enormous effect on cost of manufacturing. DFMXpress plays a vital role in bringing down the manufacturing costs.
Monday, 21 March 2016
SOLIDWORKS Routing Solutions give ample set of tools for creation of Pipe, Tube and Electrical route Designs. Piping Industry deals with complex routing lines, that are difficult to be predicted and Serviced. Design of these Piping Systems is also a tedious job, for the design engineer.
SOLIDWORKS Automates the Way of Piping Design with solutions like Auto-Routing Capabilities and Dedicated Routing Library with Reusable Components like Flanges, Fittings, Equipments and Pipes of Different standards.
Piping Solutions from Solidworks:
- Easy to Create 3D piping system designs, just by a 3d sketch
- Auto-route capability & Designs can be easily edited according to assembly and service needs
- Automatically generate piping manufacturing drawings from 3D models
- Different Connections like butt welded, socket welded, threaded, and other connections are available
- Calculate cut lengths for all pipe and tube runs
- Automate placement of supports and hangers for all lines
- Share Output PCF files to other Softwares
- Export tubing/piping bend tables to CNC benders
- Automatically create bill of material (BOM), cut lists, bend tables, and other manufacturing documentation
- Access a CAD library of piping and tubing components
- Creation of custom piping/tubing components through the Routing Library Manager wizard
Direct Model Editing Overview
- Direct Edit Toolbar enables you to copy, move, split, replace, offset, push, and drag geometry to create the result you want.
- Patterns instantly create SOLIDWORKS features, faces, and solid bodies with a simple click made directly on the geometry to be patterned.
- Direct Edit capabilities automatically convert non-native, imported model geometry into intelligent SOLIDWORKS features that can be modified parametrically or through direct geometry manipulation.
- Instant3D capabilities let you drag geometry and dimension manipulators to create and modify features.
- Live Section capabilities can be used to dynamically section models with any plane and then drag the section outline to make a change in the 3D model. Click on the model and then you can move, copy, and rotate surfaces and solid bodies to modify geometry.
With this approach designer can create quickly and easily 3D models which can be modified through direct on-the-fly interaction with the geometry (figure 9). This methodology is called explicit modeling, and is flexible and easy to use. This approach is also called history-free and it can be more effective in the early stages of design where the designers can create highly customized products without the extra effort of up-front planning the process of modeling. 3D direct modeling can be learned in very short time and, because its approach is very similar to 2D, is quite easy for a 2D designer transfer its skill on the new technology.
Solidworks Direct Model Benefits
- Higher accuracy.
- Easier drawing handling.
- Much faster to edit existing 3D models.
- Much faster NC-preparations.
- Good visualization tools makes it easy to explain ideas.