What is PDM?
In today's consumer products industry, industrial designers and mechanical engineers must work together to bring new products to market with cutting-edge design, market-leading functionality, and low manufacturing costs.
Product data management (PDM) is the business function often within product lifecycle management (PLM) that is responsible for the management and publication of product data.
What are the Goals?
The goals of product data management include,
ensuring all stakeholders share a common understanding, that confusion during the execution of the processes is minimized, and that the highest standards of quality controls are maintained.
What is it Focus on?
Product data management is focused on capturing and maintaining information on products and/or services through its development and useful life. Typical information managed in the PDM module include.
Common challenges for Consumer Products Designer
- More confusions in making file revisions
- To do changes, copying entire data
- Spending critical time for searching files or even deleted
- No data security so anyone can access and make faulty corrections
- Difficult to streamline detail information about data workflow around the global
- Users may get frustrate in Data replication and synchronization.
- Advanced searching tools inside Windows Explorer
- Just input the specific information, make it easy
2.Maintain Version and Revision History:
- Versions are automatically created and references updated
- Increment revisions automatically based on defined approval process
- Automatically send notifications to designated users and groups when files have modify/Change state
- Easy to use graphical workflow tool
4.Manage Non-Cad Data Easily
- Easily produce customized bills of materials (BOMs) for individual departments
- Manage, view, and print document from more than 250 file types including major CAD formats, Microsoft Office files, images, and animations
- Automatically create neutral files, such as PDFs, eDrawingsTM or STEP
5.Automate business processes
- Utilize multiple workflows to handle different document types and approval processes
- Facilitate multiple required approvers with Parallel transitions
6.Collaborate across boundaries
- Search for data in multiple ways, using parameters such as document or file name, contained data, or custom properties like part number, description, and current workflow state (e.g., released or in process)
- Enable staff and partners to contribute through webenabled portals from various connected devices including smartphones and tablets
- Track and manage all changes to product related data
- PDM enables easy and quick access for users on different locations and different times
- Secure organisation data with powerful Vault creation
- Eliminate Redundancy in finding the right files in consistent way
- Spend less time organizing and tracking design data
- Improve productivity through reuse of product design data
- Enhance collaboration
- Helps using visual management.